Monday, July 30, 2007

A funny thing happened on the way to coffee...

As I so often do, when the day is growing tiresome, I went with my friends today to get a little coffee at the kiosk. So, out I went with K, K, and D. D is a man. Walk walk walk POPHISSSSSSSSSSSSSS. D pointed out that someone had flattened a tire. Ah, geez, poor whoever it is. I started walking toward the afflicted car. K, K, and D scattered. Fine. They're busy people. I walked up to the car but the skinny blonde young girl with a nosering driving the car kept driving. Slowly. She was on her cell phone. I started poking my head down into view from her passenger window, "Um, your tire is flat, I can help you." People out smoking at the nearby building entrance stared at me. Blinking. The girl was still kind of driving. I looked, shrugged, smiled, the cell phone flat tire girl ignored me, as did the smokers. So, the girl finally got out and I said, "You're tire is flat." and she said, "I'm aware of that. I need to turn this in " I said, "I can help." she said, "Can you just stand right here while I turn this in?" I did. I stood there. The smokers went inside. Meanwhile, an old friend of mine approached. "Hey!" I said. "Hey!" he said. "This young lady has a flat tire." I said. "Do you have time?" "Too change a tire? Sure!" my friend said. He proceeded to change the tire expertly. I stood in the street to avoid his being killed. It was hot, almost August. He was all sweating and dirty in his worky worky polo shirt and khakis, being a big champion. The girl, all this time, just sort of looked confused and said things like, "It's not even my car, I don't know where the spare is, Is there a hazard light? etc." When the tire was changed, I put the old tire in the trunk and we both told the girl where to get the old tire fixed/replaced. She drove away without much said. Here are my questions:
(1) Don't we help people with flat tires? Why did everyone seem to think I was so strange? K,K, and D? The smokers? She was even a girl. She had something to turn in.
(2) Why was my later friend so helpful and willing? Is it just because he thought I knew the girl? (He did.) Is it just that he and I agree about the whole tire changing helping thing? Or maybe we're both just eager to show off our skills. One of the other times I helped a stranger was a girl having trouble starting a mower. I like to show off my skills.
(3) Do I still get credit on my soul score card now that I've told everyone this story? The friend gets a ton of credit, having done the work. Does the girl's indifference/rudeness help or hurt us?
I have a strange feeling and an obsession with the event. I feel inexplicably bound to my helpful friend. The whole thing reminds me of my recent tennis experience. I asked around and all these people wanted to play tennis so I set a time and we all played. I don't play tennis. They all do. They weren't playing but they wanted to play. They needed someone to make the plan. Is helping people the same way? Am I in the role of instigator in my life? Maybe so. It sounds good to me. Jumping in when someone, say, sets up a kickball league and picking colors and cheering and helping people make things happen when I stink at kickball. Making connections between a flat tire and someone who's expert at changing tires...I could have done it but it would have taken a lot longer.

No comments: