Sunday, April 12, 2009

Kevin's Easter Ham

Kevin here. This Easter, we decided to do a smoked fresh ham. This particular ham weighed in right at 22lb - a big hunk of meat. The fun started on Thursday evening when I prepped the ham and set it in the brine. As you can see, I left the skin on, scoring a crosshatch pattern across the meat and then setting it in a brine solution in a water cooler with ice, where it would sit until Saturday morning.













Saturday morning, I set my Webber Kettle for an indirect heat and slapped the meat on. I didn't know how long this was going to take. I was shooting for a final temperature of around 160, so I was hoping to get there in 8 hours or so.








After 10 hours, we were still only up to around 135 degrees. So, I had to take matters into my own hands and move the ham inside to the oven - which I had set at 325 degrees.





After another 2.5 hours in the oven, the ham had finally reached 152 degrees. So I pulled it out and let it rest for another hour or so on the counter where it got above 160.




After a night in foil in the fridge, I put it back in the oven at 350 for 1.5 hours with a good bit of maple mustard glaze. Served with pea salad, squash casserole, and a lemon tart - it was perfect.

(Tomorrow, maybe I'll write about how he kept me up all night rattling aluminum foil and taking the ham's temperature. -Sara)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It looks beautiful. If you decide to go for the low & slow meat cooking again you may want to look into getting a probe thermometer with a remote. My dad is big into smoking and loves it as you can set the temperature you want to reach and take the remote with you. Both the base and the remote will sound an alarm when the temperature is reached so you don't have to check it. If you decide to get one make sure you can set the temperature as some of them are pre-programmed and so not as versatile.