Thursday, October 15, 2009

The fun theory

Here's something to renew your faith in the human species.



What's charming about this movie to me is the way so many people are willing to enjoy themselves during the course of what's probably just an ordinary day. I mean, that's the obvious conclusion but I guess I imagine that the jerkholes around me in crowds are not the good-time fun sort of person that I am. So, I think the piano stairs would not only be good times for me but it would make me like people more, if this were happening on my commute. I like the man who takes his dogs up the stairs. They probably aren't allowed on the escalator but I would imagine that their reaction to the musical stairs would be funny. I also like the people who sort of go up and down. You can imagine trying to play a song and then realizing it would be too hard. Chopsticks would require multiple people for sure. And heart and soul--I don't think there are enough keys.

On the other hand, based on my experience at Ikea, things that are fun and cool for families in Sweden often get decimated and f-ed up by American families. We can't maybe be trusted in the same way. Or maybe the Swedish Ikea has a lot of broken stuff also but they have higher paid employees who care enough to clean up the mess. Either way, I've noticed that a lot of the perks and entertainment items from early in Ikea's time here are now gone...having spent several months sort of sad and broken. I sure wish I had some delicious meatballs right about now.

No comments: