Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Jay-Z, Nas, Notorious BIG, and 2Pac

It all started because, apparently Obama likes Jay-Z. And, by the way, I like Obama more and more every day and this aide person appeals to me. Lots of people have brought up various speech bumbles and burbles and missteps but, at this point, it's all emotional and I don't care very much about campaign slip-ups. They happen and, at least he didn't imply that he hoped his opponent would be shot. Anyway, back to the topic: Obama's aide, Reggie Love, has exposed the candidate to Jay-Z and now Obama has "gotten pretty fond" of him. So, I explored my Jay-Z options. Turns out the album, "Reasonable doubt" has been dubbed, by some, to be in the top four hip-hop albums of all time, along with "Illmatic" by Nas, "Life After Death" by Notorious BIG, and "All eyez on me" by 2Pac. I'm going to purchase and listen to these albums and broaden my horizons. If there's anybody out there, and you have some hip-hop recommendations, let me know. I have a smattering of hip-hop on my iPod but nothing by any of these three artists, which upsets me. I guess that I would like it if I had heard the top four albums from whatever genre. I like music. I like broad horizons. I want to know what I'm missing...actually, if you would like to just recommend your top four albums or the four albums that you think are the top four of some other genre, that would also be terrific...now I'm paranoid because I don't have any idea what I would say in response to this question or even what genre I would pick...Um, in the sort of rocky sub-clade of Indie rock I like" You in Reverse" by Built to Spill, "Good News..." by Modest Mouse, "Diary" by Sunny Day Real Estate, and "Show Your Bones" by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs...not in that order. But this list is based exculsively on music that I've actually heard. Yikes.

No comments: