Thursday, May 29, 2008

Miracle fruit

This is maybe the coolest thing I've read about in a long time. It's a berry that changes your sensory wiring temporarily so that sour things taste sweet. Tobasco sauce apparently tastes like a hot glazed doughnut. I wonder how I've missed knowing about it. Maybe because it's highly perishable and costs $2/berry. I need to scour my area and see if I can find an opportunity to try it out. Apparently, for $90, I can get a freezer pack of 30 berries shipped to me. It seems totally worth trying. I wonder if the guy who sells them is getting all overwhelmed now that his information was in the ny times. I wonder how hard they are to grow. I'll bet there is demand for every last miracle fruit at this point. Probably it will only be about 5 years before there is miracle berry shampoo sold at CVS. Sigh, now I'm depressed about the sad and mundane fate of the miracle fruit in the future...

3 comments:

biophd said...

I saw that... I wonder if it's a coincidence that it changes taste perception, or if it was selected for. Interesting chemical ecology question.

Melissa said...

Methinks there is a PhD project lurking in there somewhere.

dave99 said...

I got mine on Miracle Fruit World
Great quality, better priced than elsewhere and some really good recipes! Highly recommended! Enjoy