Thursday, June 19, 2008

It's time to talk about my gym...

As anyone who knows me knows, I'm in love with my gym. It's Sonz in Midtown Atlanta. If you watch the little movie there on the site for long enough, you'll see me. You should note, however, that the movie was made on January 18th and that I'm much better now. I lift heavier weight, anyway. The philosophy at my gym is associated with a current fitness trend called CrossFit. It's kind of a cult. I've never really been an athelete so it's fun for me to get strong and good at something. Also, as I begin to become competitive, it's also fun to win competitions. I find that the situation for me is that, it's not so much that I'm not a competitive person, it's that I don't like to lose. The result is that I rarely compete. Now, Kevin, my husband, was in a little CrossFit Challenge competition thing this past weekend and he did quite well. I'm going to put up some pictures. This is the sort of thing we do:
Yay! Fun! Kevin had quite a respectable time. I was afraid of the competition because of the pull-ups (which I cannot do) but it turns out that there were modifications you were allowed to make (such as standing on a box or using a giant rubberband) and I ended up regretting my lack of participation. Primarily because it caused all of the people around the competition to talk to me like I was an infant when, in fact, I could have kicked most of their asses :) So, you see how the competitive thing is coming out. It turns out that I'm quite strong but, in order to get good times, I'm going to have to work on my cardio (i.e., running), which I suck at. Slow slow slow. Anyway, you only get good at the things you practice so...running it is...poop. But, in the next CrossFit challenge, I plan to kick some ass.

No comments: