Thursday, June 26, 2008

Nick Drake, Liz Phair and the Sugarplastic

So, these are the bands that Dean liked in season 1 of the Gilmore Girls. I downloaded a Sugarplastic album from itunes because I like Liz Phair and Nick Drake and I was thinking that Dean and I have a lot in common (season 1 Dean, of course, not the later stupider Dean). It turns out that it's true, I like the Sugarplastic. So, now, I'm scouring Gilmore Girls episodes for the music that they discuss, particularly in the first season. I am using this website to help me. One exciting thing that I discovered is that I have a lot of this music on my iPod already so I made a Gilmore Girls playlist and bought another three albums, which I had intended to buy already (the White Stripes-White Blood Cells [I only had Elephant], Pavement-Westing [My Slanted and Enchanted tape won't go onto my iPod], and Tom Waits-Real Gone). I'm enjoying myself but am sensing a feeling of impending doom as my husband realizes that, not only am I spending money on music, but that I'm doing it because of the Gilmore Girls. So far, he has not put these things together, talkative as I am. I need more Bjork now, as well as the Breeders, these bands that I enjoyed while I was constantly able to hear them via the radio and other people's parties but now miss because of the passage of time. Also, I need to reinstate music in my life. I listened to my iPod a lot when I was visiting Boston and riding the train but I find that between audiobooks in the car and a ban on iPods in my lab, I'm missing some serious music appreciation in my life. I blasted my iPod from the little portable speakers at my house last night. I think Kevin liked it :) What he liked was that the music was in the kitchen so I cooked.

5 comments:

Lee Katz said...

I know this is probably the wrong place to put it, but I just understood the title of your blog. It's what they always said on You Can't Do That on Television. Good title.

Melissa said...

Whoa, they banned iPods in your lab? That's way harsh.

biophd said...

Julia banned iPods also. Or had you left at that point? Anyway, I was glad because I didn't have one and I wanted people to talk to me. I get lonely.

anaeromyxo said...

Ding ding ding ding! We have a winner! Charlie, tell him what he's won! Actually, I'm just glad that someone made the connection. I think you may be the only one.

Lee Katz said...

Just zoom ahead to 1:25ish if you get bored of the show to see the quote. And this isn't even the original show! I will see if I can find it on an original episode.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5S65fm9mfq4