Wednesday, September 3, 2008

the Bechdel Rule

I didn't know about this rule but I like it. I heard about it on npr last night. It says that one doesn't watch a TV show or movie unless it passes three criteria: (1) At least two female characters, who ... (2) talk to each other about. (3) something besides a man. The person giving the report recommended a show called the Middleman on ABC family. I'm going to start watching the Middleman. I think that the Gilmore Girls passes the Bechdel Rule. What about the Geddans rule which requires: (1) At least two nonwhite characters in the main cast ... (2) in a show that's not about race. Yes, right? Lane Kim and Michel?

So, next the commentator/blogger asks us for our own rule and one person said they would like to see a gay character who: (1) doesn't die and (2) wasn't molested as a child. I would say that I would like to see show which takes place in the south and: (1) sometimes includes winter and (2) isn't about racism...(3) or the Civil War.

3 comments:

biophd said...

I was going to post about this also. I can think of a fair number of TV shows that pass this rule (that I've been watching recently - Weeds, Firefly), but it's sort of hard to think of Bechdel friendly movies.

I'm not sure about your rule though...nothing comes to mind immediately.

anaeromyxo said...

That one show with that brash-sounding comic...it was pretty funny. I'll think of that woman's name at some point in the middle of the night. She has blonde hair.

anaeromyxo said...

Brett Butler. The name of the show was Grace Under Fire.