Monday, March 2, 2009

I always miss snow.

For some reason I go out of town every time it snows in Atlanta. Fortunately, this time, I got home in time to see the residual snow. My neighborhood has about 4 inches. I should make a photo diary of Southeastern snow-folk the next time it snows. I love their dirty, leafy selves. Actually, in my neighborhood, there was enough snow for some pretty clean snow-folk. There was even enough for some (pretty dirty) snow forts. Seriously, pictures would help a lot but, if you're from the south, you know what I mean. Georgian children really miss out on winter festivities. Thus, they take every opportunity, based on popular culture images, to do the various things children are supposed to do when it snows. The result is a pretty pitiful array of busted noses (from sledding into grass patches) and snow structures that really require more snow than we have.

While I'm discussing my affection for southern snow culture, let me just say that I don't mind that the city shuts down for a tiny bit of snow. "southern snow" is its own phenomenon. It's not the same as what northern people have experienced because of it's rarity. It's special, it makes people happy, it allows us to stay home from work, while still allowing us to go places if we really need to. I mean, have some sympathy. It's all we get. Your various northern towns probably shut down once a year for snow so why be-grudge us. Sure, fine, you would all tough it out if 4 inches of snow were to fall, but that's because it happens a lot. I think that people who are new to Georgia have a hard time realizing that no one wants their yankee rain on our snow parade. No one finds you tough or impressive for hating our snow. You're just a spoil-sport. We love our snow and we want you to enjoy it with us. Think how much nicer it is that the sun is out and it's not freezing cold so you can go out without long-johns and it's going to melt in two days. No time for it to get all slushy and nasty. Also, since we don't have snow plows or ice trucks or whatever, our snow doesn't get all abused and hideous and piled up in the gutters. Add to that the fact that we don't have snow tires and you start to realize that it's not our weakness, but your lack of vision, that makes these conversations what they are. We aren't such terrible drivers. No one drives on ice without special tires or chains or whatever (snow, sure, but when you have freeze/thaw, you have ice). Also, knowing how to drive on ice/snow really just results in knowing how to get your car out of a ditch and I don't want to do that, when there's just the one day out of the year that I have to opt out. So, really, this situation is like every other, more or less. It's all about attitude. Make yourself some hot chocolate and stop making fun of us. As my mother-in-law says to my nephew, "If you act like that, you won't have a good time."

2 comments:

camerabanger said...

Nicely put. I like the dirty southern snow concept. It shows an insightful attitude towards a horrible natural enemy (snow)and reflects upon it with a genteel, southern sensibility. Having shoveled 9 inches of the crap today I have a northern distaste for the stuff and envy the poop outa anyone who can make it sound nice and enjoy it when they gotta. Thanks!

camerabanger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.