Monday, July 7, 2008

Usually that is fine, but today, sorry lady, I have ennui

Probably it's clear to all of you at this point that I've decided that the Gilmore Girls, and watching them incessantly to the detriment of the rest of my life, are one of life's joys and necessities. Today, the topic is the final episode of season 1 (Love, daisies, and troubadours), right at the beginning when Lorelai comes into the inn to find Michel not answering the phone. This is when he says one of my favorite Michel lines of all time (and that's saying something):

Look, I've made my peace with the fact that everyone who calls here is a notch above brain dead, and that the pennies I am thrown each week are in exchange for me dealing with these people in a nonviolent manner. And usually that is fine, but today, sorry lady, I have ennui.

He defines "ennui" as "existential angst." This is how it's defined by merriam-webster:

  • Main Entry:en·nui : a feeling of weariness and dissatisfaction : boredom
  • Pronunciation:\ˌän-ˈwē\
  • Function:noun
  • Etymology:French, from Old French enui annoyance, from enuier to vex, from Late Latin inodiare to make loathsome — more at annoy
  • Date:1732
  • I'd prefer that it be referred to as existential angst. I spent the rest of my weekend telling Kevin, whenever asked what was the matter, that I had ennui. It turns out that mine was more like Sookie's, which dispersed as soon as she told a little joke:

    Sookie: You look happy.
    Lorelai: Oh, well… what's the opposite of ennui?
    Sookie: [pauses] Off-ui. [giggles] Oh, hey, I'm cured!






    2 comments:

    Lee Katz said...

    Guess who else has ennui today? Hint: it's Alice.

    anaeromyxo said...

    Holy crap! This is amazing, it's true. There's never been a coincidence as big as this one.