Friday, August 28, 2009

Healthcare schmealthcare

nataliedee.com
nataliedee.com

I couldn't find a comic or anything to express my opinions on the healthcare debate and then I realized that this is the closest one. I find that I can't have a civil conversation because it's another one of those situations where no one makes sense to me. It's like they're speaking another language, I disagree with them so profoundly. I'm paralyzed. The things I heard on npr this morning just made matters worse. Apparently 54% of Americans approve of Obama's energy policies and, they didn't give a percentage, but, far fewer are on board with healthcare. Do you want to know why I think that is? Because he's been asking them. I think the town hall meetings are a mistake. Pearls before swine. Not because the healthcare plan is pearls, per se, but because the American people don't have anything intelligent to contribute. They say things like, "I don't want government-run healthcare and don't you dare touch medicare." and "I was bankrupt and using foodstamps and living on welfare and no one helped ME out." We're a nation of idiots. I think that what we need to do is quickly improve the educational system before we re-introduce town hall meetings. I think that the reason so many people approve of the energy policy is because it's not been paraded around for bozos to criticize with their half-baked opinions and bullshit points of view. Take me for example, I'm not too crazy about nuclear power. It's dirty and nasty and needs to be a last resort. Lots of people feel that way. Ask us about Obama's energy policy, however, and we're like, "Sure, whatev [finger 'w']" So, as you can see, I'm not leaving liberals out of this, nor am I omitting myself. What I'm saying is that Obama has a nasty habit of worrying too much about consensus. Fuck consensus. You don't need it. Doesn't he have all the votes he needs? They're all out to get you. Just fucking pass a bill and forget about it. Here's where I love Barney Frank. It's a different issue but it makes me happy. Jon Stewart showed this clip recently (you can skip to 1:19):
The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
Barney Frank's Town Hall Snaps
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show
Full Episodes
Political HumorHealthcare Protests


Teeheehee. Love him. Anyway, all this in the face of the death of the senate's best consensus builder...well...I do understand the importance of consensus, I guess. If only everyone were trying!

1 comment:

biophd said...

I'm so glad I'm sort of away from all that. Here people are like, what? All Americans don't have insurance? Anyway, here's the NPR story I liked about why people can't talk about it rationally.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112315433