Friday, August 21, 2009

Is it my age or have I become dowdy?

I mentioned on facebook previously that I got yelled at for talking during movie previews recently. This hasn't happened to me all that frequently but one reason it didn't surprise me is that I have, overall, come to a place where strangers aren't all that nice to me. I have three theories:

1. It's because I appear old, due to my gray hair, un-hip clothing, or, possibly, my age.

2. It's started since I have been pregnant, in which case there are three sub-theories: (a) It's because I appear fat, (b) It's because I'm surly and grumpy, and (c) I am just more sensitive

3. I'm moving around with a different group of people as I get older and start working the 9-5 hours and going to early, uptight movies like the 7:30 Sunday showing of Julie and Julia.

Overall, the situation is distressing and disappointing. I thought that I didn't mind being female because people were, overall, somewhat nicer to me (externally). However, I am beginning to think that this is only true for young and sort of stylish-ly dressed and non-fat females. This morning, I decided, after I'd already opened my driver-side door, to file my nails before going to my office. The parking deck wasn't crowded and there was no one parked either in the space on my passenger side or in the space next to the space on my driver side. Still, a bmw screeched into the space next to the space on my driver side and gave me a surly look, presumably for taking up a space with my car door. It's a daily trend at this point. If it's not a surly parking deck patron, it's my fellow drivers, movie-goers, or the students on campus. I seem to have become invisible/annoying overnight. Maybe the city is just in a bad mood. Maybe it's because of the healthcare debate.

No comments: