Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Okay, fine, I'll be positive.

Things I like about pregnancy:

(1) The aforementioned men with babies thing. They're super nice to me. It turns them all squishy and sweet and empathetic as soon as they realize I'm pregnant. They use sweet voices and cock their heads and ask me how I've been feeling. So far, these have all been hardened scientists who typically make people cry about how bad their research is.

(2) I don't have to go to the gym. I go for walks with my friends and people think I'm doing a bang-up job getting plenty of exercise. Thanks everyone, it's really been a challenge ;)

(3) Guilt-free new clothes. If I buy them from a consignment shop, I've actually behaved in a very conscientious way. Something I apparently should not do is purchase lawn care equipment for my husband. He says it's as if he bought me a vacuum cleaner. Fair enough.

(4) I have substituted booze for desert. It's a switch I'm thinking of sticking with, even after the baby comes and I'm allowed booze again. The calories are sort of comparable, depending on how much booze you were going to have. I had a delicious cookie with ice cream and raspberries last night and Kevin drank beers like a sucker.

There, see? Positive. I now get an award for not being a complainer. I'll put it next to the big red "C" I got for yesterday's tirade.

1 comment:

biophd said...

I enjoyed both your lists. Due to your comments on my blog yesterday, I spent the walk to work this morning thinking about societies attitude toward pregnant women. I have no insights, other than to say that I imagine it's both nice and frustrating. Because, like you said, you're the same person. And you would have probably always appreciated it if someone gave you their seat. Also, I blame you and Wendy (and Katy, Kim, etc.) for the fact that I keep having dreams about babies.