Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Change We Need

I am so enthusiastic about what the Democrats are doing! President Bill Clinton and John Kerry and Joe Biden were totally terrific last night and I just can't wait to see Barack Obama tonight. I really have so much hope for this election and for the future of this country. I love the picture they've been painting of the middle class and our obligation to the environment. We are such a great party, these days. I just sat last night and watched each speech, one after the other, and I was brought to tears. I was shouting "Amen!" There just isn't an issue in my arsenal that they aren't addressing and I'm so pleased. The veteran who spoke last night, Tammy Duckworth, man alive, she had some wonderful things to say! I feel dramatically differently about these people than I did four years ago. I feel dramatically that they are right! That they will take this country in the direction it needs to go! I am glad to see the debate move away from the very important, but very contentious issues of the last election so that we can focus on things that everyone can get behind and that the government actually has (and should have) some power to control. Let's call moral issues what they are. I loved when Bill Clinton talked about how this nation's values have been degraded by Bush's policies:
I will never forget the parents of children with autism and other severe conditions who told me on the campaign trail that they couldn’t afford health care and couldn’t qualify their kids for Medicaid unless they quit work or got a divorce. Are these the family values the Republicans are so proud of? What about the military families pushed to the breaking point by unprecedented multiple deployments? What about the assault on science and the defense of torture? What about the war on unions and the unlimited favors for the well connected? What about Katrina and cronyism?
Oh, man! On the one hand, I'd love to have seen this sooner. On the other, hallelujah that it's finally come! I love it, I love it, I love it!

No comments: