Wednesday, August 27, 2008

No way. No how. No McCain.

I just wanted to talk about Hillary's speech and how much I liked it. I watched it on the internet. She did an excellent job with a somewhat difficult situation and I am really feeling better about things. In case you missed them, I'm going to put in some highlights:
And on that path to freedom, Harriett Tubman had one piece of advice.
If you hear the dogs, keep going.
If you see the torches in the woods, keep going.
If they're shouting after you, keep going.
Don't ever stop. Keep going.
If you want a taste of freedom, keep going.
Even in the darkest of moments, ordinary Americans have found the faith to keep going.
I'm not a big patriot and I've noticed that in the darkest of moments, lots of people have found the faith to keep going but, the presidency is about patriotism so I think it's fine in this context. I also found this quote to be inspirational for me in my own life. Keep going. If this applies to the people who, in this nation's history, had some of the least amount of reason to hope, surely it applies to me. Now, another one. The transcript says:
To restore America's standing in the world, to end the war in Iraq, bring our troops home and honor their service by caring for our veterans.
I think she said "bring our troops home WITH honor and give our veterans the care they have EARNED." Which, I thought was very powerful. In fact, the difference between the transcript quote and what Hillary actually said are the very words that made this quote powerful, because these are the things that we want that the current administration isn't doing. They may bring home the troops but will they do it in a way that makes them honored and will they remember them down the road, when they are disabled veterans?

So, all-in-all, I feel a shaky optimism. I was very disappointed about recent polling results but I'm looking forward to seeing more delicious home runs like this one. Great work, Hillary! Really great.

1 comment:

biophd said...

I listened to her speech this morning and I also thought she did a good job. It's really hard for me to believe that former Clinton supporters would vote for McCain. I saw the poll results, but I wonder how much this is being played up by the media.

I'm starting to get excited now. CNN showed people crying after Obama was nominated last night. It was really pretty moving.